Grants from The Gibbons Family Trust


Grants from this Trust are given to assist children and young people under the age of 25 that live in  Devon (with a preference for East Devon), and / or the Isle of Thanet in Kent.

Grants are made at the discretion of the Trustees for a wide variety of reasons.  The Trust Deed asks the Trustees to consider the ‘care, benefit, support, education, or otherwise for the welfare of children and young persons’.  Trustees can

  • ‘Award grants to charitable residential and day care establishments for children and young people, including those who are disabled’;
  • ‘Award grants for or towards the maintenance and educational advancement, training and recreation of children and young people’.

Grants are NOT made for the following reasons:

  1. Any fees payable of an ongoing nature (such as regular payments for education),
  2. To individuals for trips overseas for any reason,
  3. To private schools,
  4. For retrospective funding.

In addition only one application from any applicant will be considered in any financial year (which runs from April to March).

The Gibbons Family Trust is a registered charity and you can find more information on the Charity Commission’s website HERE (opens in new window/tab)


Recent grant information

The following grants were made in the financial years up to 31st March: –



Value of grants made £87,500 £82,655 £87,322
Number of grants made 63 61 75
Average size grant for organisations and charities £1,500 £1,355 £1,354
Average size grant for individuals £722 £561 £516
Number of applications received 79 70 84
Success rate of applications 81% 91% 89%


Payment of grants

The Trust only makes grants payments by BACS. All applications,  whether charity, organisation, or individual, will need to supply bank identification with EVERY application as our online application process will not allow submissions without it.

This bank identification  must clearly show

  • the name of the bank
  • account name, 
  • the account number and the
  • sort code. 

A paying-in slip, a cancelled cheque, or a copy of a statement are the required forms of identification. 

In addition the Gibbons Family Trust DOES NOT make grant payments directly to individuals. A third party is required to receive the grant payment on the individual’s behalf.  That third party (such as Housing Association, University, service provider, Council) must be able to provide the above bank details to us. 


Please click here to read in more detail about applying –

Application Forms